Once open enrollment for Covered California comes to an end, the only way you can enroll in a Covered California health insurance plan is if you experience one of the specific life changing events. If you have recently experienced a life changing event and missed the open enrolling period for Covered California, you may want to double check with the list of qualifying events for special enrollment. We have compiled a list of the qualifying events for your convenience. At Bernardini & Donovan Insurance Services, we are Certified Covered California Agents, so any of your remaining questions can be promptly answered by our skilled team.
Qualifying Life Events for the Special Enrollment Period:
- Getting married or entering a domestic partnership
- Adopt a child, receive a child into foster care, or put a child in adoption or in foster care
- Change of permanent residence
- If you are released from jail or prison
- If you lose your current health insurance. This includes if you lose health insurance through your job or are no longer eligible to receive Medi-Cal
- Fluctuating income that results in sporadic eligibilities and ineligibilities.
- If you become a citizen, natural, or lawfully present individual. This only applies to those who were previously not considered citizens, nationals, or lawfully present.
- Wrongful enrollment due to misconduct or misrepresentation of your health insurance provider.
- If you applied before March 31st, and received a denial notice from Medi-Cal after March 31st.
- Incorrect denial for Covered California or Medi-Cal coverage
- A member of a federally recognized American Indian or Alaska Native tribe – Eligible for one-a-month enrollment
- Case-by-case basis to determine eligibility
The insurance experts at Bernardini & Donovan Insurance Services are Certified Covered California Agents who can help you through the process, for FREE. We can answer any and all of your questions about whether you qualify for the Special Enrollment Period. Although we are located in Redlands, we serve all residents within our California family. Contact us today and we can help you determine when the best time to enroll your family in Covered California would be.