Understanding Eligibility Of The Special Enrollment Period
With the deadline for the second Obamacare open enrollment period now in the rear view mirror, many individuals who failed to obtain health insurance before the deadline will soon be receiving penalties in the mail. Due to the enactment of the Affordable Care Act, each and every one of us is now required to obtain health coverage or receive a penalty.
If you want to avoid penalties, you must obtain health insurance. However, there is one way out of this requirement: the special enrollment period. The special enrollment period provides an individual with varying circumstances a second chance at enrolling for health care. However, you must experience one of the many qualifying life events in order to be eligible for the special enrollment period.
Life events that may make you eligible to take advantage of the special enrollment period and avoid penalties include:
- Getting married changes your tax situation and health care needs, so you can take advantage of the special enrollment period.
- Likewise, having a baby, adopting a baby, and placing a child in adoption or foster care all make you eligible for the special enrollment period.
- Do not fret if your existing health coverage drops or changes, as you will be able to obtain new health insurance during the special enrollment period.
- Permanent moves that change your coverage area or coverage requirements allow you to obtain health insurance during the special enrollment period.
- If your citizenship status changes you can obtain health insurance during the special enrollment period.
Rather than leaving yourself unprotected, seek the care you deserve today! Contact Bernardini & Donovan Insurance Services in Redlands for all of your California health insurance needs. As Covered California experts, you can rest assured that we will be your guiding hand in the realm of health insurance and health care.