Archives

Did you know…

Will they, Won't they

Will They, Won’t They – Immunization Edition

If you’ve ever dipped your toe into the vaccination debate you are bound to find some highly impassioned arguments. Each side will call out logical fallacies and pull out research to prove their points. In this blog, we will talk about the objections that are given over getting your child vaccinated.

Parents who chose to not get their children vaccinated will cite research that shows that vaccines have a higher chance of not helping your child become immunized but will instead infect the child.

They will also point out that illnesses that have been wiped out by vaccinations were already in decline by the time the vaccine was invented. For example, polio was already in vast decline because of better hygiene and understanding of how illnesses spread before the vaccine was made public. They will point out that vaccines not only have trace amounts of the bacteria or virus but will also have toxins like formaldehyde or mercury.

But probably the most talked about aspect of vaccine objections is the subject of autism.

In its shortest form, the argument is that vaccines cause autism. Parents may even know a couple who had a happy and healthy child who was vaccinated and changed drastically after the injection. The child has now been diagnosed with autism. While there are many different studies that have shown that there is no direct correlation between vaccinations and autism, this fear has kept many parents from choosing to get their child vaccinated. The theory behind vaccinations is that they are perfectly safe and will help your child from getting a terrible illness. However, many parents are not willing to risk the livelihood of their child on a theory.

Every parent loves their child and wants the best for them. When it comes to vaccines, you need to make the best decision for your child. Talk to your friends, talk to your doctor, talk to your partner, do your research, be informed.  We are in no way trying to pose an opinion in the blog and just want to look at this issue. We care about the health and wellness of all of our clients and hope to help you find the best healthcare for your needs.

80/20 Rule

Did you know… about the 80/20 rule?

We realize that many people may have health care but don’t know how the systems work or what their premiums are going to each month. We understand that life is busy and that you may not have all the time in the world to research and learn an argumentatively complex system of health care insurance and providers. So we thought that we would start a new series of posts focused on “Did you know…” With this blog, we will be looking at the 80/20 rule.

 

Did you know… that health insurance companies are required to spend a mandated amount on your healthcare? Insurance Companies are mandated to $.85 of every dollar on your Health Care.

 

This 80/20 rule is also referred to as Medical Loss Provision Ratio in the Affordable Care Act. The rule states for 80% of premiums collected must be spent on health care or on improving actions for the person. The other 20% can go to administrative needs of the medical insurance company such as marketing or other financial needs. These numbers specifically apply to individual and small group markets. If you are part of a large group market, then the numbers change to 85% and 15% of healthcare and administrative needs respectively. The thought process with this rule is to ensure greater transparency within insurance companies so we can truly see where the money is going. If an insurance company does not spend the 80 to 85% of premiums toward healthcare, then they are required to provide a rebate for the portion that was not spent. This rebate looks at the entire corporation and their spending and not just on one individual’s health care expenditures. Are you someone who has received this kind of rebate in the past? If so you know that the rebates usually come in the form of a check to the individual, are applied as a credit to their account or are reflected in the rates of the following year of insurance. Or if you are part of a small or large group then the rebate is given to your employer who passes it along to their employees. We hope that this “Did you know” blog was helpful. If you have any more questions about the Medical Loss Provision Ratio, please feel free to call and ask us.