Open enrollment 2015 is finally upon us! Now is the time to be consumed with thoughts of health care in order to financially prepare yourself for the future. If you are preparing for the important decision of selecting your new health plan, you are probably aware that there are a number of different insurance categories to choose from. The categories differ based on how medical expenses will be shared between you and your plan.
Five main categories currently exist, and are known in the health care world as “metal levels”. The different levels take an individual’s monthly premium, coinsurance, copay, deductible, and out-of-pocket maximum into consideration. Here is a break down of the metal levels:
- With a bronze level plan, you will pay approximately 40%, while your health plan will cover 60%.
- In a silver plan, the costs are split into 70%, and 30%. You will pay the 30%, and your health care plan will pay about 70%.
- With a gold level plan, you will only pay about 20%! Your health plan will cover the remaining 80%!
- A platinum level health plan will pay all but 10%. The remaining 10% will be up to you.
- Catastrophic coverage plans are only applicable for individuals under the age of 30! Those with this type of plan will also need to qualify for a hardship exemption. Catastrophic coverage plans pay under 60% of health expenses.
In order to choose the right plan for your needs, at a price that you can afford, you must consult with a Certified Covered California Broker. These individuals have the experience necessary to provide you with quality health care advice. Contact Bernardini & Donovan Insurance Services to get in contact with a broker, and make the open enrollment process much easier!